Pictures Courtesy

family pictures courtesy of Andrea Busath

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The first surgery and hopefully the last!

So as the husband I feel it is my duty to fill in for Amy and blog. I hope I do her justice!

We arrived at the hospital at 8am to find out that we were early, apparently someone made a mistake with scheduling and we were not supposed to be there till 9am! What??!!.....are you serious? We need sleep right now! Well, Amy needs sleep and I need her to sleep because if she isn't sleeping than that means she is tired and not her wonderful chipper self!! Tisk Tisk Tisk Kade. Anyways, our room had a television monitor so we decided to catch up on Full House and some other ABC Family shows that were on in the morning. After an hour or so the nurse comes in and asks Amy a few health related questions and shortly after she is given an IV and some "floaty" drugs that make her feel sleepy. She was then taken into surgery around 10am and about an hour later she was done. The Doctor per Amy's request gave us the "stone" or what I would call the "whopper" since it looked like one of those chocolate covered malt balls that no one likes in our household! Amy was in and out of sleep for the next 6 hours. I would describe her as being narcoleptic....one moment she would be alert and then the next she would be out...she denies she slept but let me tell you, she was asleep. Her pain level was at a 6 out of 10 for most of the time and finally it came down to a 4 and half. She was able to drink broth and juice but still had challenges with going potty. The nurse came in about 4:30pm and asked how Amy was feeling, Amy replied by saying she felt about the same but did not have the urge to go potty yet. The nurse responded by saying that it was not a requirement before being discharged from the hospital. We decided that 5pm sounded like a good time to leave the comfort of the hospital and its amenities. Amy is such a blessing to our family with ALL that she does and now as a husband I get to find out first hand just how much work she does EVERYDAY! I hope I survive and become a better husband and dad through this unique time in our family's lives. Just one thing....keep us in your prayers to all of our loyal blog followers...my wife and kids especially since they will be in my care. YIKES! ; ) Till next time...

5 comments:

Becky said...

Great update Arthur! I even got to hear and see Amy read it to me through Skype. It was wonderful!

The Yuan Fam said...

Thanks Beckster!

Sandy said...

Arthur, you will do fine. Our prayers are with Amy and her quick recovery. We love you both. Aunt Sandy

Meg said...

Glad that everything went well! You are definitely in our prayers. We wish you a smooth recovery!

Kathy said...

Arthur, you are a gem. We'll keep you all in our prayers. Thank you so much for the update.