Pictures Courtesy

family pictures courtesy of Andrea Busath

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Being amazing

A friend of mine reminded me today that we should always be looking for the good in ourselves.

Instead of comparing ourselves to others, whether good or bad, we should focus on ME.

I realize that it's in many women's nature to find their flaws and flaunt them to the world without shame or bashfulness.  What we should be doing, as this friend has suggested, is finding the good and talk about that.  Let's work on it.

These are in no particular order.

Organize - I'm a very organized person.  Things are in their place, most of the time and I have several lists on my phone that help me accomplish stuff.  With a few rugrats running around, it's sometimes hard to get anything done...we manage.

Willing to try - I'm a semi-adventurous person; which in my book means I'm not adventurous at all :-) BUT when it comes to trying new things, practical things, I'm game.  Skydiving, heliskiing, and/or drag racing are not practical to me, to someONE yes, but to me no.  I'm talking a new recipe, making a blanket using two pieces of fabric (ambitious, right?!), using a new cleaner for the shower (just kidding), or maybe even going to a stranger-friend's house to get to know them better.  Those are my kinds of things to try.

Motherhood - This DOES NOT come natural to me, but I work really hard at it.  Some days are better than others.  I love being a mom to MY kids.  This is something that I have a hard time with; not comparing myself to other moms around me; I kind of live in the mecca of amazing moms.  I know that I will never fulfill the roll of 'super mom' but I'm doing my best and I can be 'super mom' to my kids...sometimes they're totally fine with just making it out of the house to go to the park, and I WIN and so do they.

Directions - I can pretty much get myself anywhere without GPS.  Some of my friends gave me the nickname GPAmy because each time we go to San Francisco together, I drive us around and rarely get lost.  I'm pretty proud of this gift.  In CA it was different because it was mainly memorizing where streets were, but when we moved to Utah I realized how easy it was going to be to get places since most of Utah is on a grid system; moving north and south from Center St. and moving east and west from Main St., not to mention the humongous mountains to the east that can help ANYONE get somewhere.

and last but not least,

Dishes - I really like washing dishes.  It does not bother me...in fact I feel like I have control over how clean they get if I wash them by hand instead of in the dishwasher.  While living in Rexburg, Idaho we lived in an apartment that didn't have a dishwasher so we were used to washing dishes by hand.  Is this a weird one?? Oh well, that's what I came up with!!

What are you good at?  Lots.  
Will you talk about those things instead of putting yourself down?  Probably not all of the time.  
Will it be hard to do that?  Of course.  

It's worth it to remember the things that YOU are good at and not the things others are good at.  We, as women, have a divine role and infinite potential to become great in the sight of God.

He has provided this world so that we can learn and grow in ways we want to; not ways we may feel forced to.  Remember who you are; you are a daughter of God.


3 comments:

Meg said...

This is something that is SO HARD for me, but I'm working hard on it. I have a hard time even seeing and thinking about the good, never mind talking about it - lol. For some reason I feel like in order to declare "I'm good at..." other people need to agree with me. That's what I'm working on - measuring my worth based on what I think (and the Lord) and not what others think. So hard! But so important.

Thanks for the reminder - you have no idea how much I needed this!

Meg said...

P.S. You ARE really good at all those things - and I just think you're amazing. I admire so many things about you!

AndreaB said...

I love that you are a human GPS too =) maybe it runs in the family?? On my mission I knew my areas like the back of my hand within 2 weeks, and by 1 month in area, I didnt need a map anymore. It was awesome =) the Taiwanese were so impressed, especially when I would pull out a map and could find where I was going, in Chinese!

Did your human GPSness work in Japan too??