Pictures Courtesy

family pictures courtesy of Andrea Busath

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"Though she be but little, she is fierce." - Shakespeare


Maya one day old

Maya was born five weeks early; she measured at 29 weeks.  She was 3 lbs. 10 oz. and 17 3/4 in. long.  She was just a tiny thing and boy was I scared.  We call her our miracle.

I started having high blood pressure at 34 weeks.  High BP is a sign of pre-eclampsia.  This is dangerous for both mama and baby.  I was put on bed rest and a week later I was being told that my daughter wasn't thriving so I'd have to deliver her that night (or get the labor process started).  I was terrified.

She was born the next morning and rushed to the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit).  I was expecting that so I didn't feel confused or surprised.  Arthur went with her and the nurses got me ready to be transferred to the Mommy/Baby Unit.  It was strange having visitors and I didn't have anything to show them...my baby was down the hall where only parents and one or two family members were allowed.  

She spend 14 days in the NICU; a very long 14 days.  My mom and dad started making their way to Idaho the minute Maya was born.  During those 14 days, my mom was here for about half and it was so nice to have her around.  She drove me to the hospital to be a part of Maya's feedings and baths.

On Christmas Eve, Arthur and I went to visit with Maya, like any other day, and some of our friends, whose baby was in the NICU too, were there with their car seat and diaper bag.  I was so jealous that they were getting to take their daughter home.  Once we got settled with Maya and after saying our hellos to the wonderful nurses, they came over to us and said, "Would you like to take her home today?"  Um, yes!!!  So, Maya went through all kinds of tests to be sure she was ready to make the five minute drive home.  She had to keep her oxygen levels up, which she'd been doing fine already; she had to be able to ride in her car seat for an hour without her stats dropping, which she failed; and she had to be eating all her meals on her own from a bottle, which she had been doing for about six days.  

Since she failed the car seat test, they had a fix for that...they gave us a car seat bed.  


It's a pretty simple contraption, but it was such a chore getting her in and out of that thing.  I couldn't wait until she was big enough for HER car seat.  We took her home and she weighed 4 lbs. 8 oz.  We couldn't believe how much she had grown in that short amount of time, but she was still teeny tiny.

People who know her now, have no idea she was born premature.  She is a strong-willed, healthy little girl that pushes the boundaries everyday.  She knows how to get her brothers all riled up and knows how to have a good time.


Love you Maya!!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Beautiful miracle girl. You have a good memory too! Loving your posts. So glad you're doing it!